Sunday, February 2, 2014

The dawn of a New Time

Let me start my first blog post by welcoming anyone who has bothered to check this out.

This blog has been started as a kind of log in my personal weight loss challenge which has been fought over the years, some years successful, other years not so successful.

My tipping points came this weekend for a number of reasons, which I'll get to as time goes on, but this first post will be about a couple of events which have caused me to realise that enough is enough.

I weighed in this morning at 113.2 kg, which is the most I have ever weighed.  On top of that, my BMI (based on my height of 182 cm) is 34.  According to the BMI calculator I used I'm classified as obese and my healthy weight range should be between 61 - 82 kg.  Now I have very wide shoulders, so I don't seriously think getting my weight down to 61 kg is safe, but at the absolute least I'm at least 31.2 kg overweight.

I've also been struggling to find clothing that fits me in my cupboard.  I've always had a system going in my cupboard of sorting clothing based on size.  As my weight goes up I gravitate towards the few shirts that still fit me and as it goes down I stop wearing the larger ones because they become too baggy.
Lately I've been finding my options more and more limited due to this being my heaviest weigh in ever and, not only don't I want to go out and buy more comfortable shirts and pants, I don't want to admit to my wife that that's why I want new clothes.
I've always hated clothing shopping, but never more so than when the reason is because I'm too big for my current clothes.

Another thing that has me fired up is that for the third time in my life I broke a bed frame.  I just sat on the bed as I usually do and the timber supporting the planks of wood just gave way.  This wasn't helped by the fact that two metal screws had to snap to make this happen.
The other two times I'd broken bed frames were within a few weeks of each other and occurred when I was travelling internationally in a country where the average weight is a lot less than Australia.  At the time I wrote it off, but I still took notice.
Upon returning to Australia I took it upon myself to lose a lot of weight (I got down to 86 kg) and was at my lowest weight just in time for my Debutantes ball.  After that I slowly put weight back on and would oscillate between 95 and 110 kg over the years, with my weight going down in time for certain milestones (being involved in others weddings) and would slowly rise if no new events for which to look good arose.

My last big effort was for my wedding day.  I undertook a very strict diet and exercise regime which saw me lose about 14 kg in about 12 weeks.  I swore this time I'd keep losing the weight, even though the unrealistic diet was not maintained, or at the very least keep my weight down.  I let myself go starting on the honeymoon which was a few months long.

My biggest reason I actually haven't yet mentioned:  fast forward several years to now and my wife and I are looking forward to the birth of our first child and I don't want to be "big fat daddy" or even "big daddy".  I want to be the best father I can be for my unborn child and to me that means being fit.  I want to be able to keep up with him or her when she gets older and starts running around.  More importantly, I still want to be around for all of the major events in their life, like when he or she turns 18, gets married and has children of their own (hopefully not necessarily doing all three in the same year!).

I don't want to keep being the guy that always thinks that there'll be time to lose weight later and going on a crazy diet to achieve results, but being unhealthy and unsustainable.  I know that the baby won't be doing much running around for the first year of his or her life, but I'm done with putting it off.  If I can't find the time to get myself into shape before the baby arrives, what chance will I have to lose it when I'm either out at work or home changing nappies!

My plan over the next 6 months is to get my weight down by 33.2 kg to 80 kg, so that I'm in the 'healthy weight range' as listed on the BMI website linked above.  I'll be posting updates on this blog of how I'm going and what I'm doing.  I don't really have a firm plan for what I want to do, but I know what I need to do and I know that I need to start now.

If you're still reading, thank you for reading all of the above, I look forward to hearing from you and I wish you all well with your own personal self improvement goals!

Today is Sunday February 2nd, 2014 and my current weight is 113.2 kg (0 kg lost, 33.2 kg to go).

No comments:

Post a Comment