Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A quick update with some bad news...

I failed to weigh in last Sunday due to being interstate.  I considered weighing myself mid-week, but I'll either get my hopes up or get disappointed in the lead up to next weekend's weigh-in.  For now I'll have to assume that all the food I ate whilst away was somehow countered by all the walking I did.

Just a quick note for anyone thinking of going to Sydney, Australia.  If you can help it, DO NOT catch taxis, especially from the airport.  My flight was delayed by an hour, so I got in after 11pm and was too tired to argue with the taxi driver when he tacked on an extra $10 onto the taxi fare.  $48 to drive me 15 minutes to the centre of the CBD at 11pm on a Wednesday night with virtually no traffic around?  Yeah right!

The taxi industry lost out on one customer because all weekend I went everywhere either by bus or walking.  Even the times when I had to walk more than nine blocks to get to a bus stop!  I even caught the train from the city back out to the airport when the time came.  Even a local tourist information person told us to avoid them like the plague, and she apparently has friends who drive taxis there!

Otherwise I had a good weekend, albeit a slightly damp one with all of the rain which poured down.  Ironically, living in Melbourne which is supposedly the home of changeable weather, the first ray of sunshine I saw in four days was in Melbourne the afternoon I got back.

Anyway, work has been a very stressful time with announcements coming about the possible future of the company.  It wouldn't be quite so stressful, except the management seem to feel that too much communication is better than not enough, even if that communication has absolutely no new information.

It's been hard not to be tempted by bad food, especially since we've been having so many staff farewells for people who are clearly jumping ship because of the uncertainty.

I wonder, if/when I leave will it be before so many people have left that the company simply stops putting any kind of effort into farewells?  That happened at my last company.  When I started at my last company we'd all get taken out to lunch if someone who'd worked there longer than 12 months left.  By the time I left (after eight years!) all I got was an exit interview and I had to email around to see who wanted to join me at the pub.  Admittedly, upon realising that there weren't that many people who were going to miss me made leaving easier to take.

I've always been a person who gets stuck in my comfort zone and the thought of moving companies makes my skin crawl with the uncertainty.  I bumped into some people who were left from my old company and they told me I left at the right time.  Hopefully I know when the right time with my current company is, although I hardly want to leave my current uncertain environment for and even more uncertain one.

I guess only time will tell where my current journey will take me, although hopefully I'll be able to remain focused on my current goals and lose my extra weight in time for the birth of my first born child!

No comments:

Post a Comment