Monday, February 3, 2014

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Doing some simple calculations I've worked out that in order for me to achieve my desired weight loss (33.2 kg or over 29% of my current body weight) in the time frame given, I’m going to have to lose 1.3 kg per week on average.  The reality of the situation is, however, that this weight will most likely be easier to lose at the beginning and much harder the closer I get to my goal weight.  To account for this I’m aiming for at least 2 kg of weight loss per week for the first few months, which should make up for the later months when the weight loss plateaus and I have to do more to keep the weight loss going.

As a kind of a mid-way goal I've set for myself, I’m aiming to get my weight down to 95 kg by the Easter weekend (starting Friday April 18th) as I usually go somewhere with my family for a day where there’s a heated pool and, whilst I know I’d still be classified as overweight at 95 kg, I’d at least like to be able to show off my progress.  I’ll still probably be one of the biggest people there, but at least I know my weight will be tracking in the right direction.

My weigh-ins, rather than being a daily affair (which I’m told can fluctuate quite wildly, which can de-motivate), will be done on Sunday mornings, with the results being uploaded to this blog when I get a chance.

I've decided that, as far as diet goes, I’m not going to do anything drastic but rather cut out things I know I shouldn't have and cut back other foods as time progresses and if I see a plateau forming.  So far I've cut out soft drink, my morning piece of slice and my afternoon ice cream.  I don’t always have those things and I don’t drink much soft drink, but my weights been slowly creeping up and little things like these have all done their bit to make me the overweight man I am today.

I also went on three walks today, each lasting about half an hour.  Given our weather of late I don’t know if I’ll be able to keep that level of exercise consistent every day, but I’m feeling good because I’m off to a good start.  How good this start is will ultimately be reflected in my Sunday morning weigh-in weight…

No comments:

Post a Comment