Sunday, December 20, 2015

Teen girl stands up to racist (woman) on bus

Here's an article about a woman who hurls abuse at someone on a train for not speaking English and the teenage girl who confronts her about it.

Here's some interesting points about the article:

  • The article specifically mentions that it's a girl doing the good thing, both in headline and in sub-heading, yet doesn't mention the gender of the abuser until the body of the article.
  • The article mentions that the girl is "a massive advocate for feminism", which has nothing to do with the so-called 'racism'.
  • The attack wasn't technically racism, since the woman being verbally abused was speaking Spanish and, for all intents and purposes, Spanish people are white.
I'm all for people speaking whatever language they want to speak, if I don't like it, then I'll just absent myself.  The only time I've ever felt uncomfortable around people speaking their own language was in a Lebanese run pizza restaurant, but that was mainly because the guy behind the counter along with the three girls there (all the girls were wearing hijabs) were staring at me, saying things in their own language and giggling.

I never felt threatened, I just couldn't bring myself to go back there to a place where they were clearly having a joke at my expense in their mother tongue.

Other than that, I find it very telling that, as is standard for the Mainstream Media, they link to other instances of racism in Australia, yet the majority of the other examples linked were primarily women doing the abusing.  Those articles also did the same thing where the headlines mention the gender of the victim if she's a woman, but not the abuser if she's a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment