Monday, September 29, 2014

Thoughts on the movies Brave, Tangled and Frozen

I was at a dinner party the other day when a woman I know who has a son commented on how her best friend's daughter wouldn't let her son to her 5th birthday party because she thought boys were stupid.

Later in the conversation she mentioned that the girl's three favourite movies that she watches again and again are Brave, Tangled and Frozen.

I wonder if either of them has stopped and taken a good hard look at the underlying tones of all three of those movies where male characters are either evil or stupid and incompetent.

I challenged anyone to identify at least one positive male character in all three of those movies.

Granted I've never seen Frozen (nor do I want to), but Brave left me thinking that girls watching that must think all men are loud obnoxious buffoons and tangled left me thinking that girls watching it must this that domestic violence against men is ok, but the number of times that the main female character beats up the main male character.

I wonder what kind of reception I would receive if I were to point the above out?  Probably not a very nice one as the impression I get is that woman's friend probably wants her daughter to grow up to be a strong independent woman, and who wouldn't?  My main concern is that if they get those ideas stuck in their head early enough, they'll carry through into adulthood.

Then again, maybe she'll discover boys and the whole 'boys are icky' phase will be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment