Thursday, September 25, 2014

Masters of Sex not worth the trouble

I'm not normally one to review any movie or TV show, but I felt so strongly about this that I had to post something.

A friend of mine raved about Master of Sex as being a fantastic show, the critics love it, etc, so when it finally found its way to Australian free-to-air I checked it out.

I honestly couldn't understand what the whole fuss was about.  Once you remove the sex from the show you're left was a show that's so blatantly anti-male it stops short of having its female actors simply kicking the crap out of its male ones.

All of the male characters are either career or sex focused with very few other redeeming qualities.  All of the women are portrayed as smarter or more moral than the male doctors.

  • One MALE doctor is racist to a black man, the FEMALE nurse believes this is wrong.
  • One MALE doctor is cheating on his wife with his assistant, the FEMALE assistant is doing it to keep a roof over her head and/or for the science.
  • One MALE doctor can't get it up unless he's able to treat the women as anonymous sex objects, the FEMALES he leaves behind just want love.

And the list goes on.

I gave this show what I think is a fair run, which is I watched about four episodes before I gave up.  There's only so much anti-male portrayal that a person can watch before one realizes that it's not going to get any better.

I know it's set in ye olde day when stuff like that happened, but there were racist bigots around the time of the Korean war, but the TV series M*A*S*H didn't resort to showing its main characters as racists, sexists and bigots for it's whole series run.  If they did, it was usually so that particular character could realize the error of their ways by the end of the episode.

Masters of Sex just seems to rub our faces in these character flaws episode after episode with little or no character growth for the men, but the women are shown as compassionate, smart and improving.

I'd rather go back and watch MacGyver again.  At least that's got some positive male role models in it!

3 comments:

  1. Why bother watch TV shows which are anti male. SBS, 7, 9 10, ABC... doesn't matter.

    Couldn't help but notice that you are from Down Under. Know any other guys in the Sphere down here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, I was thinking it would be maybe another Mad Men with an intellectual edge about a guy who went against the establishment to study sex (and get a bit of eye candy at the same time).
    What I got was a waste of time and an insult to my intelligence. Honestly, it wasn't even worth fast forwarding the dialogue for the sex scenes. I'm very fast turning off television.

    As for you're question, I don't really know any other guys in the Sphere. I read a few of the following blogs, but I don't know if they're everyone's cup of tea.

    The Oz Conservative
    The Knight & Drummer

    ReplyDelete
  3. * As for YOUR question

    Just picked up the error.

    ReplyDelete